Desks - Frequently Asked Questions
The concealed “European” hinges on HON doors allow easy three-way adjustment of door alignment.
• To raise or lower the door, locate the recessed Phillips screw farthest to the rear of the hinge. Rotate this screw to adjust the height of the door. You do not need to loosen the center locking screw to make this adjustment.
• To adjust the side-to-side gap between the doors, adjust the Phillips screw closest to the door on the surface of the hinge body. You do not need to loosen the center locking screw to make this adjustment.
• To adjust the in-out pitch of the doors faces, carefully loosen the center locking screw and slide to the correct position. CAUTION: Do not move this screw outside the adjustment seat range or the door may dislodge and fall. Tighten the center locking screw when the correct adjustment has been made.
The tape used to hold the unit in place is industrial strength. Do not use force to remove the unit, as the laminate surface will be torn loose before the tape releases.
To remove the tape:
1. Apply mineral spirits along the bottom edge where the tape is holding the end panel to the desk surface. Allow this to seep under the edge and begin to dissolve the tape’s adhesive.
2. Take one end of a strong, thin piece of wire (piano wire works best) in each hand.
3. Slowly work the wire between the bottom of the end panel and the desk surface.
4. Apply firm pressure to gently slide the wire between the end panel and work surface. Take care in this process not to damage the end panel or laminate surface.
5. Once the wire has separated the end panel and work surface, the remaining tape and adhesive can be removed with mineral spirits. Apply the mineral spirits to a cloth and wipe the tape residue away with firm pressure.
6. Clean both surfaces with a clean, damp cloth to remove any remaining mineral spirits.
7. Additional double stick tape can be ordered for reattachment. Please see your local HON Dealer for assistance.
Yes, since January 1997 all of our Laminate Desks come standard with a core removable lock system. You can order keyed alike replacement lock cores from your HON dealer. If your HON filing cabinet was made prior to January 1997, contact customer support to determine if your cabinet can be retrofitted with a replaceable lock.
Refer to the following if you have a variety of HON furniture in your office you would like keyed alike:
• Laminate Casegoods (1997-present): F23B Lock Kit (Black Face Lock)
• Lateral Files (1997-present): F23C Lock Kit
• Vertical Files (1997-present): F24 Lock Kit
• Steel Desks (1997-present): F23C Lock Kit (Chrome Face Lock)
• Veneer Casegoods (1997-present): F23B Lock Kit (Black Face Lock)
• If you are unsure about what you need to order, please locate the serial number on the sticker on the exterior right side of the upper most drawer, and contact your purchasing dealer or HON Customer Support at (800) 336-8398.
For a Box drawer:
1. Fully extend the box drawer.
2. Depress the black tab located in the center of the slide channel.
3. Continue to pull the drawer out.
For a File Drawer:
1. Open the file drawer slightly.
2. Depress the black tab located on the slide behind the drawer front.
3. While pressing in on the tabs, lift up on the front of the drawer.
4. Once the front of the drawer has separated from the slide, continue to pull the drawer out along the slide.
5. If you have any questions at any point, please locate the serial number on the sticker on either the outside, knee space side of the top drawer or the underside of the top and contact your purchasing dealer.
Can't find what you need? Contact Us