Storage & Files - Frequently Asked Questions
• The thumb button is a replaceable part, and is quite simple to replace. Three small parts will need to be replaced: the thumb button, the latch bar and the spring.
• Refer to replacement instruction sheet for details on replacement. Please locate the serial number on the sticker on the exterior, right side of the upper most drawer and contact the purchasing dealer.
The follower block is used to keep hanging files from shifting in the drawer when the drawer is not full. It slides along the track in the drawer keeping the files from sliding to the back of the drawer. Please refer to the Installation Instructions. If you need a carton of follower blocks, you can buy one on our HON webstore www.honaccessories.com.
• First, insert a stiff card (driver’s license, charge card) in the left side of the cabinet, between the case and the drawer. The card should be inserted approximately parallel to the location of the thumb button.
• Push in on the card to disengage the latch bar. The drawer can then be opened.
• Another option is to remove the drawer directly above the locked drawer, remove the drawer back, and disengage the lock.
The lock is made up of three pieces: the lock core/cam, the lock link, and the lock clip.
• If the lock spins, the lock clip may be loose or missing. This piece can easily be replaced.
• If the lock does not work, the lock link may be missing or loose. This can be reinstalled or replaced. Or the lock core may not be functioning. Again, this part is easily replaceable.
• To resolve either of these issues, please refer to F24 instructions or locate the serial number on the sticker on the exterior, right side of the upper most drawer and contact the purchasing dealer.
If you need to replace the Lock you can watch the below video to learn more.
Yes, since January 1997 all of our vertical files come standard with a core removable lock system. You can order keyed alike replacement lock cores from your HON dealer. If your cabinet was made prior to January 1997, contact Customer Support to determine if your cabinet can be retrofitted with a replaceable lock.
Refer to the following if you have a variety of HON furniture in your office you would like keyed alike:
• Laminate Casegoods (1997-present): F23B Lock Kit (Black Face Lock)
• Lateral Files (1997-present): F23C Lock Kit
• Vertical Files (1997-present): F24 Lock Kit
• Steel Desks (1997-present): F23C Lock Kit (Chrome Face Lock)
• Veneer Casegoods (1997-present): F23B Lock Kit (Black Face Lock)
• If you are unsure about what you need to order, please locate the serial number on the sticker on the exterior right side of the upper most drawer, and contact your purchasing dealer or HON Customer Support at (800) 336-8398.
Yes, hangrails need to be purchased separately to use hanging folders. Please review the following to determine which series of hangrails you will need to purchase:
• File Series 250: Hangrail Model A28, 4-pack of Two Step Hangrails (enough for 4 drawers)
• File Series 530: Hangrail Model A25, 4-pack of Two Step Hangrails (enough for 4 drawers)
• File Series 500: Hangrail Model A25, 4-pack of Two Step Hangrails (enough for 4 drawers)
No, these series of filing cabinets come standard with high-sided drawers that hold the hanging folders without the use of hangrails.
Can't find what you need? Contact Us